Solutions For Missing Teeth in Thousand Oaks, CA
How Tooth Loss Affects Your Health
Tooth loss is a common issue among adults. According to the CDC, 7 percent of Americans lose at least one tooth by age 7 and the percentage only increases as they get older. While some people see missing teeth as nothing more than a cosmetic issue, this isn’t the case. In fact, missing teeth can lead to a variety of serious health problems including a misaligned bite and oral infections.
That’s why it’s crucial to address tooth loss as soon as it happens. At Prism Dental Group, Dr. Siddappa and our team offer a range of solutions to restore your smile and counteract the effects of missing teeth.
What Causes Tooth Loss?
Missing teeth can be caused by several different factors. Some of these include:
- Inadequate oral hygiene -- The primary cause of tooth loss is decay. This results from not brushing and flossing enough or neglecting to visit your dentist for checkups.
- Untreated cavities or gum disease -- If you allow bacteria to build up in your mouth, it can lead to cavities and gum disease. Without treatment, both of these conditions can result in tooth loss.
- Trauma/Accidents -- If you experience any heavy trauma to the face, such as a collision while playing sports, it can knock out your tooth in rare cases. You can also lose a tooth by biting on a hard surface.
Consequences of Missing Teeth
In addition to the obvious drawback of having gaps in your smile, missing teeth can have a serious impact on your health. Empty tooth sockets can turn into breeding grounds for harmful bacteria, allowing decay to spread through your teeth and gums. This will typically result in cavities, gum disease, and additional tooth loss.
Another major consequence of losing a tooth is that your surrounding teeth will start to shift, causing jaw pain and a misaligned bite. That portion of your jaw will also lose the stimulation it normally receives from your tooth, causing the bone to shrink. This will eventually lead to sagging skin and premature wrinkles, making you appear older than you really are.
Tooth Replacement Solutions
At Prism Dental Group, we feature three options for replacing missing teeth:
- Dental Implants -- The only permanent solution for missing teeth, implants will provide you with unmatched convenience and stability. They’re secured to your jaw, never removed, and look and function just like natural teeth. Best of all, dental implants prevent jawbone deterioration to preserve your appearance and long-term health.
- Dental Bridges -- Bridges are an ideal option for patients missing adjacent teeth. The restoration consists of one or more natural-looking prosthetics called pontics, which are supported on either side by your surrounding teeth. We’ll also cap your anchor teeth with porcelain crowns to ensure strength and durability.
- Dentures -- The most affordable tooth replacement, dentures can be used to replace any amount of missing teeth or even a full arch. The procedure is fast and minimally-invasive, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of a stunning smile in just a matter of weeks. We can also secure your dentures with dental implants for a more stable restoration.
Visit Prism Dental Group For Tooth Replacement
If you have missing teeth, Dr. Siddappa offers three different ways to restore your smile. The longer you wait to act, the more at risk you’ll be for serious health problems. Call our Thousand Oaks dental practice at (805) 241-5353 to schedule your consultation today -- Dr. Siddappa will evaluate your health and provide an ideal treatment solution for your smile.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to replace missing teeth?
Yes! Without treatment, tooth loss can lead to oral infections, shifting teeth, bone loss, and other health problems. Missing teeth will also damage your confidence and often lead to social embarrassment. That’s why it’s essential to replace missing teeth as soon as possible. At Prism Dental Group, we offer dental implants, dental bridges, and dentures for your convenience.
Do missing teeth affect your speech?
In many cases, missing teeth can cause you to develop a lisp or slur your words. Speaking is all about forming sounds and it can be difficult to form sounds properly when you have gaps in your smile. Without treatment, your speech will continue to get worse over time as your jawbone deteriorates and your gum tissue recedes.
Communication is one of the most vital aspects of living, so we want to ensure all of our patients have the ability to speak clearly. If you’re missing one or more teeth, call our Thousand Oaks practice and schedule a consultation with Dr. Siddappa.
Can I eat with a missing tooth?
Many patients think that losing just one tooth won’t affect their ability to eat. This isn’t the case, as even one missing tooth can affect the pressure and entire alignment of your bite. This will only get worse over time, as your surrounding teeth will start to shift out of place. Eventually, you’ll find it difficult to chew a lot of essential foods including fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
Trying to eat with a missing tooth can also be very painful or cause you to injure your other teeth by overcompensating. That’s why we recommend replacing your tooth as soon as possible. Dr. Siddappa often recommends dental implants for a healthy and natural-looking smile.